Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Interview Response

Below are the answers my model gave in response to the interview questions. 

1. Who or what has inspired you to pursue a career as a hairstylist?

When I was a young girl I watched my mother, who did hair as a side hustle spend hours shaping, braiding, and pressing hair into these beautiful, intricate styles. I stood by watching in curiosity and amazement as she transformed these women into their most confident selves. They would leave my mother’s chair with a new bounce in their strut and a smile that was unmatched. Ever since then I have always wanted to bring this kind of radiance out of women, just like my mother did. 

2. What are your long-term aspirations for this craft?

I plan on being one of the top hair stylists in Miami, with a successful hair company and magazine. I hope to expand my brand internationally and become globally known for the quality of my work. 

3. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

In 5 years with hard work and prayer I envision myself as the CEO of my own hair company, with two hair salons up and running. I want to spread my wings beyond Miami and move to Atlanta where there are more networking and business opportunities. The possibilities of the outcome of my life 5 years from now hopefully is somewhat aligned with this path. 

4. How has the coronavirus affected your business?

Due to the pandemic there has been a decline in my clients. With this decreased income I have experienced difficulty paying for hair supplies and bills. Before COVID-19 the stream of income I received from travel jobs helped to pay the mortgage and bills in my mother’s house, which I currently work out of. However, I have had to dip into my savings to keep my business afloat and implement safety measures to offer my clients safe, quality service.

5. What current business endeavors are you pursuing/achieved?

The pandemic may have limited physical opportunities but it has not deterred me from pursuing my goals. I am in the process of saving money for a hair salon and have recently begun looking into starting a hair business, where I will sell weaves, wigs, and extensions. I am currently offering virtual braiding and wig install one-one sessions to clients who are interested in learning the technique.

6. When did you realize that this was your calling?

I realized this was my calling as my clientele grew. People would travel out of their way to have me do their hair. I was immensely touched that they had such trust in me to style their hair and it warmed my heart that my passion for being a hairstylist finally got the recognition it deserved after years of pursuing my dreams.

7. What does hair mean to you?

Hair to me is a form of expression and an untapped well for creativity. It can be twisted, beaded, cut, braided, straightened, etc. into all sorts of designs just as clay can be sculpted into virtually any shape. Hair is a source of confidence, beauty, and a statement piece that should be nurtured and worn with pride, which is a philosophy I exercise throughout my brand. 

8. Who would you like to work with?

In my opinion I would love to work with celebrities such as Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Niki Minaj. Working with these three beautiful talented artists would be a blessing and an honor. They could potentially assist in promoting my business, while I am helping them in looking and feeling amazing for photoshoots, music videos, or award shows. 

9. What advice would you give an enterprising hairstylist like yourself on how to overcome hardship?

Always think positive and believe in yourself. The many downfalls you encounter is just the beginning of a blessing waiting to happen, patience is key. Having the mindset that you will succeed and strive will lead you in the right path even when everything wrong seems to be happening at the moment. Remain true to the craft, and the craft will remain true to you. 

10. What has been the most memorable moment as an entrepreneuring hairstylist?

Everyday holds a new surprise but the most memorable moment I experienced happened when a video of a blunt cut lace wig  I installed on a client went viral. I posted the video of the client’s hairstyle like I typically do on my Instagram and within days my video was circulating around twitter and Facebook with thousands of comments and views. This was the first time I had experienced such recognition and it was a validation that pushed me to work at the craft more and stay true to the path I’m on.

No comments:

Post a Comment